Alessi Rundes Tea/Coffee Spoon
Designed by J. Hoffmann (1870-1956) for the Wiener Werkstaette and presented for the first time to the public at the exhibition entitled "The Laid Table" in Neustifgasse 32 in Vienna, this cutlery was produced by hand in silver and silver plate until 1910-12.
- The service, which was also used in the Fledermaus Cabaret, fully reflects the search for functionality combined with extreme elegance, and sophisticated processing of the materials that was typical of WW.
- While some contemporaries raised doubts about the practical design of some of the items (the transversal concavity of the tablespoon was one controversial point), those who actually used them rebutted these accusationsl
- Only One Left
- Size Description
Length 14 cm.
Josef Hoffman was a prominent member of the Viennese Secession, he was born in Pirnitz-M?hren in 1870. At the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, he studied under Karl Hasenauer and Otto Wagner and until 1937 he held a course in architecture at the Kunstgewerbeschule of the Österreichisches Museum für Kunst und Industrie. In 1903, together with Kolo Moser he founded the Wiener Werkstätte. He developed his simple geometric shapes starting from the curvilinear language of the European Art Nouveau. One of his most important works was the Stoclet Palace in Brussels (1905-1911). He developed the principles of the total work of art. He died in 1956